Switching in and out of writing mode may seem like a big challenge. However, it is better to write little by little than spending an entire day or weekend writing. Cutting this enormous task into little ones will make it less overwhelming.
Writing a Good Time Plan — Outline
From the very beginning, you have to make a time plan on how long it will take you to complete writing your dissertation. Make your time plan as realistic as possible. Set aside some time for other things that you have to do. This will help avoid disappointments brought by failure to meet other commitments.
You don’t have to write all the sections in your dissertation in a specific order. However, when working on the different sections do not leave them in note form. Writing them up may seem like a very overwhelming task afterwards.
Before you stop at a certain point, make sure you make some quick notes on the next things you will accomplish. This will make it easier to get back into writing mode the next time you sit down to write.
Think what time and place will be most appropriate for you. Find a place where your mind can have its peace. Avoid places where there are too many activities and noise.
Overcoming Writer’s Block
If you encounter Writer’s Block while writing your dissertation, there are two things which you can do:
- Write down ideas, notes, drawings and diagrams. You may go for a walk but remember to bring a notepad along with you. Make notes about anything that comes to your mind.
- Get busy with basic task such as organizing your working, checking your spelling and grammar, etc. These are things you will have to do anyway so why not do it when you can’t do anything else.
Before you start writing your dissertation, there are a few things every student should try to have as part of the preparation process:
- Familiarity on other researches that are related to fields governing your research project.
- Understanding on the steps that have to be taken to complete your research project.
- Ability to execute the required steps to complete your research project.
- Motivation or drive to come through all the steps in the research project.
The only way to gain all these is to read other research proposals. Study them carefully and observe the format, style, standards and other important components of a good dissertation.
When writing your dissertation, good writing is very important. However more than just good writing, it is also equally important to have adequate ideas and concepts.
Helpful Writing Tips
Here are some helpful tips on how to write your dissertation:
Voice and Tenses
All the verbs should be in the active voice and in the present tense
More focus should be given on the results and not on how they were obtained.
- It is acceptable to include a name in the acknowledgment section but in the main body.
- Avoid documenting a series of experiments which failed to produce anything. Do not also document experiments which only produced something successfully due to coincidence.
- Do not document apparently mystical influences. Never also mention supernatural beliefs as causes of particular events. Moreover, do not entail that strange forces impacted your results.
In writing your dissertation, you simply have to write about the simple facts. When describing results, do not include your reactions or events that helped you obtain them.
Do Not Praise or Criticize Yourself
After thinking your research project through, the next step is to prepare the dissertation proposal. It is very important for students not to take for granted the thinking part in order to come up with a feasible proposal. Remember not to rush.
Writing your dissertation is not something you will perfect all at once. Just like in everything else, the key to success is to practice. Some students do not possess the necessary writing skills, so they look for best dissertation service that can help them make a dissertation. This is also a good option as long as you choose an efficient company or person to get writing services from.
When you are done writing your dissertation, editing and revising are very important steps that need to be carried out. However, if you do not have adequate writing skills, you may need help. You may hire an editing service to check your work for errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, format, content, etc.